Dear WWA Families:
On May 13, 2014, the Board of Directors will be holding our annual board member elections for 3 seats expiring June 2014. The board
members whose terms are expiring are Amy Benisch, Patrick Earhart, and Veronica Brunk. All three candidates are eligible to run for another term. All returning board members are parents of students at the school so we will also accept nominations for up to one community member position
that will expire in June 2017.
Charter schools like WWA are unique in that they are “parent governed” schools. This is done through the election of board members. The purpose of the board as elected representatives is to direct, not manage, the school. Board members are a policy setting group, and through policy, direct administration within the Mission and Vision Statements of Woodrow Wilson Academy.
The qualifications of a candidate include:
Read Professor E.D. Hirsch's books "Cultural Literacy" and "The Schools We Need and Why We Don't Have Them" and agree with the
principle that our society has a foundation of knowledge upon which subsequent learning is built.
* Be familiar with the Core Knowledge Scope and Sequence.
* Understand the curriculum that has been approved by the board.
* Be in agreement with the educational philosophy, discipline policy and administrative structure of WWA.
* All directors should attend one PTO meeting a year to show support and encouragement for that vital aspect of our school. Directors
will not serve on the PTO Executive Committee. Directors may chair and/or serve on other committees of the PTO.
* Prior board experience is helpful but not required. Placing a high value on professionalism and the success of the school is
mandatory. Motivation for serving on the board shall be to facilitate the educational success of students.
* Please be familiar with the Board of Director’s web page on the school’s website http://www.wwacademy.org
Those seeking to be elected or reelected to the board shall submit a letter of interest and an abbreviated resume by April 1, 2014. Candidate letters will be accepted in either school office or via email at email@example.com. An evening for Meet the Candidates will be scheduled in late April and elections will be held at the annual meeting on May 13, 2014 as well as the week leading up to the meeting for absentee ballots.
If you are interested in serving the community while sharing your time and talents then this is your opportunity. If you have any questions,
please feel free to contact any board member. We look forward to talking with you.
Your Woodrow Wilson Academy Board of Directors
Adrian Clarke, Greg Mattei, Amy Benisch, Dave Brazzell, Veronica Brunk, Garret Gifford, Patrick Earhart, and Tim Matlick